Saturday, February 21, 2015

Chapter 1 Digital and Media Literacy

During the first few paragraphs of the first chapter I was reminded of the video we watched where the baby was trying to work the magazine like a tablet, the situation described is a second grade student is pretending that their black and white composition book is a laptop during a snack or lunch break.  It is very clear the differences when I grew up:

 and how they are growing up now:


 Renee Hobbs states that a "2011 national survey showed that nearly one in three babies and toddlers has a TV in his or her bedroom up from 19% just 6  years earlier" (Hobbs p 13 2013).  I worry because are the children actually engaged the whole time in front of the TV or are they sitting zombies like so many doctors and other articles would like us to believe. 
 Another interesting fact is how most toddlers are able to work hand held devices like I-phones or tablets and now exactly how to get to the app they want and exit.   "Most children who use video games or computers begin when they are just 3 1/2 years old (Hobbs p 13 2013). 
 I found this chapter to be a great introduction to what digital literacy is, because what we might think being literate is such as speaking, reading and writing, can also be interpreted as speaking into the computer microphone, reading a web page, and typing on a blog.  We essentially are doing all  traditional aspects of being a literate person.  






5 comments:

  1. Hi, Elizabeth, I enjoy reading your post very much. Guess what, I am as well always surprised at finding that young toddlers know how to use i-phone and i-pad without learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After watching that video I was able to see much more clearly how different the world is to a "digital native" as compared to someone who has just grown into the digital world…some people only in a half hearted way! The "digital world" is changing and evolving so quickly, I really do wonder what these "digital natives" who it seems were really born into the digital world will have to encounter in the "next" world of innovation and how they will feel if not "native" to the next wave?
    What will be their learning curve?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work with young children, and it blows my mind every day how able they are to operate technology. It does concern me with the amount of time parents are allowing their children to engage on these devices. I think that children are growing up in a world where they need to be digitally literate to survive, but I also think that there is an appropriate age and appropriate amount of time daily that children should be engaged in these activities. It's a fine line, and I don't think many people know what's best to do at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The simulation and entertainment they get from the shows today almost seems dangerous. YouTube is a place where ideas are shared and the knowledge is vast. Their choice to watch what they want and when they want gives them plenty of access to information. Many have checked my facts to see if I was telling them the truth and at times we used it together to find information out. But there was one show on youtube that my children were so into. They would watch series after series of this show. Here is a clip of the show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOqHL4xlyhA
    Is there lessons to be learned from this video?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. Parental monitoring is always important with any technology. I think bringing light on the different settings is important. Babies are home or in daycare most part of their years up to 4 or 5 years of age. They sleep more than half that time. So that narrows down that time. I can't imagine every child being exposed to that much tv so then, I'd say not all babies are exposed to tv that much. Older kids are in school and sleep majority of their life. They spend an average of 6 to 7 hours daily at home. Again, I can't imagine them in front of a tv or computer that long. Well, maybe some do but not all. So, now that I narrowed down all that time, I doubt that all children spend a lot of time in front of tv or computers. Therefore, I will not over react and worry about children spending being ruined by the mass media.
    On contrary, when children watch tv or get on computer, most are probably un monitored as that can be hard to keep track of as a parent. As a teacher, this can be a challenge also. Having more than 20 students online and keeping track of them every second is almost impossible. This I worry about like everyone.

    ReplyDelete